Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Belated Fourth of July Greeting

Hope all of you had a safe and relaxing 4th of July holiday!

I didn't do much celebrating this year, but I did spend more time than usual reflecting on all the men and women who have sacrificed to keep our country's independence and give us a reason to celebrate this day each year.  Thank you.

After my last weather post, a friend chided me about scaring everyone away from Florida :-)  Although it IS hurricane season and we do have some weather to contend with ... I want to point out that there are another 265 days that are beautiful, without the cold winters of the north, or the spring tornados of the midwest.

This year for the 4th, there was a parade along A1A in the morning,



Along with an art festival on the square and the Friday Farmer's market.  About 1pm the outer bands of Arthur came ashore for a wild afternoon of weather and enough rip currents to keep everyone out of the water.  Today's afternoon was the worst of what Florida got, and my thoughts are with everyone in North Carolina and further up the coast where Arthur was more active.  


photos courtesy of Wunderground - The Weather Underground

The skies cleared about 7pm, just in time for what I hear was a spectacular fireworks display.  I skipped the fireworks and headed home to sit with Grace, who is thunder phobic and has a hard time on the 4th of July.  My normally brave and adventurous Aussie becomes a 50lb. lapdog who shakes and cowers.  I've tried all the distraction tips, tried crating her and finally gave up and let her sit in my lap until the fireworks and thunder were over (not very comfortable for either of us).

I'm ordering a Thunder Shirt to try.  If anyone has any experience with one, please post me a comment and let me know how it worked for you.  I really don't want to resort to drugs but the older she gets, the worse it gets.

Today, it's 80 (which feels cool) and glorious... we are off for a walk!

Hope your holiday weekend was spectacular!



No comments:

Post a Comment