Sunday, May 25, 2014

UH OH... the Big Six Oh!

I couldn't decide if I was going to blog about this or not... reader alert, the following post has nothing to do with traveling or the airstream so feel free to skip right over this one if you want :-)

Milestone birthday this past week... the big 6-0.  Sixty is a weird birthday, you are now officially old enough to be considered "old" by the general population, but still too young for the perks (park passes, medicare and social security benefits).  I know it's considered old because my granddaughter told me so - cracked me up!

There's good and bad to growing older... the bad:  Gray hair, wrinkles and gravity!  My brain still thinks I could climb Mt. Everest without breaking a sweat, my body not so much (not that I have ever climbed Mt. Everest!).

The upside?  I am much more comfortable with who I am that I ever was in my 20's and 30's. I'm in relatively good health.  I want less and appreciate more.   I have a different perspective on what's important and I'm blessed with friends, family and a strong faith.  I've jumped off the corporate ladder and wonder why I didn't do that sooner? I am more focused on who I am than what I do...and for the first time in a long time I am much more interested in making a life than a living.  I know some folks 'get it' much earlier in life, but it took me a while to learn these lessons.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.

All in all, I think 60 will be a good year... and having another birthday certainly beats the alternative :-)
Now if I could just decide what I want to be when I grow up!

Clams and Shrimp on the grill and Corona in hand

On the beach with family..

a great birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment